Job Description of a Crisis Response Dog
–Reports To: Certified Handler, who may feel weepy, overwhelmed, and tired.
–Job Overview: Responsible for raising the spirits of people whose lives have been dramatically changed by devastating circumstances, without saying a word.
-Success is Measured By:
- The number of sad faces turned to smiles.
- The number of hearts warmed for an instant.
- The number of humans provided with a moment of normalcy.
- Approach hundreds of strangers who may be at the lowest points of their lives.
- Offer a warm furry body to provide comfort through the sense of touch.
- Care about humans with every fiber of your body.
- After comforting people you don’t know, comfort your handler.
- Education & Certification
- Obedience School Graduate.
- Therapy Dog title.
- Ability to ignore food left on the floor, even if it smells really good and you are hungry.
- Ability to maintain composure around forklifts, people yelling, babies crying, boxes falling, inclement weather, big trucks revving engines, sirens, airplanes and other chaotic noises.
- Ability to endure hugs around the neck.
- Ability to endure boredom while handler chit-chats with other humans.
- On all types of footing, walk on a leash without pulling.
- Sit when told.
- Down when told.
- Stay when told.
- Be a dog.